CLIENT SALES DIRECTOR
The YGS Group provides marketing and communications solutions to clients in the publishing, association and corporate markets. Our TOTAL Solutions™ integrate the services our clients need with the solutions they want. As part of our TOTAL Solutions offering, YGS supports its association clients by helping them generate nondues revenue through the sale of print and digital advertising via print and digital publication offerings, as well as event sales and sponsorships. For publishers, we help them generate additional revenue via the sale of print, digital and mobile-enhanced reprints, logo and award licensing, and permission sales. YGS identifies these areas as Client Sales.The Client Sales Director is a sales management role holding key responsibilities pertaining to sales development, sales management and account strategy. This director serves clients in the Association/Publisher Solutions (APS) group. The director collaborates with YGS senior leadership and APS sales staff to develop, implement and manage annual sales strategies that foster existing advertiser retention and growth in accordance with client and company goals and objectives. The director has overall management responsibilities of Client Sales account executives and the business management team.
This hands-on position offers a variety of responsibilities in a friendly, entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment. This position exists to perform these essential functions:
- Develops, recommends and implements APS department policies, plans, programs and goals to assist in achieving company objectives; communicates objectives to APS client sales representatives and other personnel.
- Ensure the training of employees in the processes and methods required to achieve the company’s APS client sales objectives, as well as standards for quality and safety consistent with the company’s principles.
- Works directly with client contacts, in conjunction with the Executive Vice President (EVP) and other APS directors, to manage and coordinate account details to keep the APS client sales team focused on selling and prospecting.
- Assists in the development of new business proposals in support of The YGS Group’s corporate sales team. This may include on-site presentations/travel with corporate sales reps.
- Communicates and delegates position responsibilities, duties, tasks and plans to APS client sales representatives and business management team.
- In conjunction with EVP, appraises performance of staff against position responsibilities, established goals, plans and similar standards.
- Monitors overall effectiveness of APS client sales department; assures the development and application of systems and techniques required to monitor and control department activities.
- Maintains relationship with all key customers and contacts.
- Keeps EVP and other management executives informed of developments and trends in the department; reviews and discusses the effect on other company departments.
- Assures that studies, investigations and analyses are made of markets and products to provide facts and judgments required to develop recommendations or decisions related to short- or long-term marketing strategies, approaches and techniques to improve sales, earnings, service and customer acceptance.
- Develop, recommend and implement policies and procedures that ensure the most effective operation of the sales function. Ensure all staff members fully understand the policies and procedures.
- Assist in communicating new products and services to existing and potential new customers.
- Assist in working with cross-functional teams to address product quality, problems and improvements, and to ensure the continuous, ongoing improvement of processes and methods.
- Researches, develops, recommends and supervises the implementation of marketing plans for prospective and current accounts. These plans may include market research, media advertising, direct mail, incentives and sales promotion activities, as well as other marketing techniques.
- In conjunction with EVP, responsible for setting sales compensation including special incentives; hiring, termination and training of sales personnel and customer service personnel.
- In conjunction with EVP, establishes sales quotas and other selling goals.
- Leads/facilitates weekly APS client sales team meetings.
- Conducts monthly 1:1 meetings with direct reports.
- Participates in other team assignments as needed and agreed upon.
Sales Strategy Development: In conjunction with sales team members, develops comprehensive annual plans for each client that include, but are not limited to:
- Assesses market opportunity.
- Reviews existing database contacts.
- Establishes budget/projections for new accounts.
- Develops tactical plans.
- Establishes activities calendar.
- Ensures calendar activities are being delivered on (with support of sales and marketing).
- Refines plan as needed.
- Reports on progress to sales and management.
New Business Development (with consult of EVP):
- Support of YGS Corporate Sales team in the pursuit of new APS Client Sales accounts.
- Includes preliminary start-up and sales strategy plan.
- Travel with corporate sales representatives.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- College degree in marketing, management or communications preferred.
- Strong organizational, time-management and customer-service skills.
- Solid associate management and communication skills.
- Experience in client-facing role or similar position.
- Working knowledge of print and digital specifications and publishing.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office products, PC platforms.
- Knowledge and use of CRM systems.
- Flexible team player who learns quickly, can work independently and has a proven ability to work well under pressure.
- Proven track record of establishing and delivering on aggressive but realistic financial metrics.
- Exercises good judgment in keeping with the core values of The YGS Group.
- Applies effective principles and techniques of sales training and implementation.
- Establishes and maintains a reputation for innovation/creativity.
- Stays informed of latest trends in associations and publishing—print, online media and event sales.
- Develops strategies for continually improving sales effectiveness.
- Applies the latest techniques in new media and technology.
- Strategies are shown to be supporting advertiser retention/growth and growth of “true new” advertiser base.
- Proactively adjusts plans to ensure success.
- In conjunction with EVP, ensures metrics outlined in Client Sales plan are being met/exceeded.
- Ensures marketing outreach occurs on time and within budget.
- Seen as critical support by customer, Client Sales team, executive management and corporate sales representatives.
Professional office environment running 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on a 260-day schedule. Approximate time allocation: 40 percent meetings/calls, 55 percent sitting, 5 percent travel.
Notice to All Applicants: The employment process with The YGS Group includes a pre-employment background check and post-offer physical and drug screen. The YGS Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.