This position is responsible for coordinating the job flow in and out of the prepress department, which includes checking the information and components of a file. In addition, chosen candidate will coordinate file production including, but not limited to preflight, templates and scheduling. This position works closely with internal and external customers by providing files, plates and printing expertise to sales, marketing, production, service departments and customers, as needed.
- Enter, store and retrieve information in computer systems based on established file organization.
- Enter, position and alter text size using computers to correct pages so that printed materials can be produced.
- Maintain, adjust and clean equipment, and perform minor repairs.
- Operate and maintain laser plate-making equipment that converts electronic data to plates without the use of film.
- Operate proofing devices to print proofs to monitor print quality and ensure that it is adequate.
- Examine finished plates to detect flaws, measure dot sizes and verify plate curves using a densitometer.
- Punch holes in digital thermal plates.
- Keep plate processor maintained by keeping chemistry and water containers filled and waste tanks emptied.
- Perform minor deletions to completed plates.
- Prepress operator is not exposed to extreme changes in temperatures or weather conditions while inside work environment. Environment is regulated via systems. There may be temperature variation between work areas. Noise level moderate to loud in operations area. Environment is protected with building access pass system. Fast-paced manufacturing environment. Must be flexible with hours and overtime.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency is required.
- Associate’s degree in print communications or related field preferred.
- 5–7 years prepress experience in a high-volume printing facility.
- Experience in creating high- and low-resolution proofs, color profiling, preflighting files, color correction and file editing, finishing templates and proofs.
- Must have experience in running digital printing and finishing equipment and be familiar with solutions to enhance, expedite and upgrade their processes from a prepress-based solution.
- Work closely with customer service reps, press operators and occasionally with sales and/or customers, as needed.Effectively present information in one-on-one and small-group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to communicate in English: read, write and understand.Ability to resolve and solve problems with minimum supervision.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and job tickets.
- Must have Mac and PC skills and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, Quark, Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), HP Smartstream or other variable merging software, Adobe Acrobat.
- Record time and materials accurately.
- Strong time management skills required.
- Ability to work in a team environment required.
- Follow safety, standard operating procedures and general housekeeping requirements.
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires the individual to work in both a sedentary and physically active capacity. This position will be required to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time. The individual in this position needs to move about inside both the office and manufacturing areas to access files, communicate with teams and individuals, review work, etc., regularly. Regularly operates a computer and other office machinery such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer, as needed. The person in this position frequently communicates with coworkers, customers and business partners to complete work assignments. Must have the ability to control operations of equipment or systems. Job requires the ability to exert up to 40 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, or up to the negligible amount of force consistently to move objects.
Notice to All Applicants: The employment process with The YGS Group includes a pre-employment background check and post-offer physical and drug screen. The YGS Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.